A pre serve routine is used to help players prepare mentally and physically for their serve. Below is an example of a pre serve routine along with videos of professional players and articles based on pre serve routines.
An example of a pre 1st serve routine would be as follows:
- Pick up tennis ball/s (if no ball boys/girls!).
- Think of your plan for the next point.
- Walk towards baseline bouncing the balls on the ground with the racquet.
- Position your feet behind the baseline.
- Bounce the balls with your hand while visualising a spot in the service box where you want your serve to go.
- Deep Breath.
There are many different routines, such as straightening your strings as you will see in the videos below: